Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Mortality and Divinity

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 -- Week of Proper 17, Year Two
David Pendleton Okerhater, Deacon and Missionary, 1931
To read about our daily commemorations, go to our Holy Women, Holy Men blog:
http://liturgyandmusic.wordpress.com/category/holy-women-holy-men/

Today's Readings for the Daily Office (Book of Common Prayer, p. 983)
Psalms 38 (morning)       36, 39 (evening)
Job 12:1, 14:1-22
Acts 12:18-25
John 8:47-59

Job knows that there is nothing after death but Sheol -- the pit, the grave, the abyss -- where all are removed from the light of God, righteous and unrighteous.  He mourns that mortal life here on earth is "few of days and full of trouble, comes up like a flower and withers, flees like a shadow and does not last."  A tree might have hope.  After it is cut down, its roots might find nourishment and grow a new plant.  But it is not so with mortals.  "So mortals lie down and do not rise again; until the heavens are no more, they will not awake or be roused out of their sleep."

Job comes from a Biblical time when there was no expectation of afterlife.  Many Biblical people still follow that belief.

But Job yearns and wishes.  What if God would hide him in the grave, in Sheol, and at some time in the future would remember him.  If only that were a possibility, Job cries.  He would lie there in death and wait until that day.  "You would call, and I would answer you; you would long for the work of your hands."  He imagines a time when God's punishing gaze would withdraw, and Job's love for God could again flourish.

But he knows that is impossible.  Mountains fall and rocks crumble.  Mortals die and know nothing any more.

We shift to the scene in John's gospel.  It is the climax of the argument that Jesus has been having with the authorities over the past few days' readings.  Jesus has been escalating his claims -- I honor my Father; whoever keeps my word will never see death; it is my Father who glorifies me; I know the Father and I keep his word; Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day; before Abraham was, I am.  The authorities are incensed by this line of argument.  They know that their ancestor Abraham is dead.  He is in the grave, the pit, the abyss.  The prophets are dead.  Who do you think you are?  Jesus' words amount to blasphemy to their ears.  Jesus identifies himself with the holy and unspeakable Name of God -- "Very truly, I tell you, before Abraham was, I am."  They pick up stones to silence the blasphemy, but Jesus escapes from the temple. 

Jesus believes that Abraham is not dead but alive.  Jesus senses his own life in such union and continuity with God that he knows himself to be one with the eternal, known to Abraham and those who have died before him. 

Jesus invites us into the intimacy of that eternal relationship with God.  Elsewhere in John Jesus speaks of his life which is in us and which is in God.  He invites us into a vision of life that embraces everything within the loving energy of the divine. 

As this day begins, I am invited to embrace and accept my finite, earthy mortality as well as my infinite union with the divine.  I have lived more years than I have left.  I'm in the autumn of my life.  My leaves change color, and I feel the daily aches of my mortality.  I am also filled with divine light and breath, with an abundant energy that connects me with Abraham and with all that is and all that will be.  The trees and I breathe with each other.  Every person is my sibling.  God is breathing me into life, that I might embrace creation with God's own love.

I do not know what the future will bring, but I trust God whatever it may be.  For now, it is a wondrous thing to be alive.  Carpe diem!

Lowell

_____________________________________________

Audio podcast: Listen to an audio podcast of the most recent Morning Reflections from today and the past week. Click the following link: Morning Reflection Podcasts

About Morning Reflections
Morning Reflections is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.


Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117
An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at www.missionstclare.com
Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location -- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html

The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church
is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

Visit our web site at www.stpaulsfay.org

Our Rule of Life
We aspire to...
worship weekly
pray daily
learn constantly
serve joyfully
live generously.

Lowell Grisham, Rector
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, Arkansas

2 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Anonymous janet said...

Spiritual Haiku - Sept.1

crisp air - crunchy leaves
clear thought and presence
sultry summer green away
autumnal pleasures
earth tones linger now

Peace,
Janet

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Lowell said...

Ahh, yes, Janet.

And the lingering is good.

Lowell

 

Post a Comment

<< Home