Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Desire for God

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 -- Week of Proper 17, Year Two
Aidan and Cuthbert, Bishops of Lindisfarne, 651, 687
To read about our daily commemorations, go to our Holy Women, Holy Men blog:
http://liturgyandmusic.wordpress.com/category/holy-women-holy-men/

Today's Readings for the Daily Office (Book of Common Prayer, p. 983)
Psalms 26, 28 (morning)       36, 39 (evening)
Job 12:1, 13:3-17, 21-27
Acts 12:1-17
John 8:33-47

There is something in the quality of Job's anguished cry for God in today's reading that reminds me of the passion of the mystics.  He dismisses his friends and turns his gaze solely toward God.  He faces God with fearlessness.  He demands that God release the divine punishing gaze from him.  He tells God to call and Job will answer.  Job willingly faces his own reality under the divine gaze, willing to see his fault, should there be any.  His deepest anguish is his desire for God.  He will see God, whether God be blessing or annihilation for him.

These sentiments reminded me of a poem or prayer that I had heard from St. Teresa of Avila, so I went to the Internet to see if I could find what I was thinking of.  I'm not sure I did, but I found this poem of hers that speaks of the passionate search for God.

If, Lord, Thy love for me is strong
As this which binds me unto thee,
What holds me from thee Lord so long,
What holds thee Lord so long from me?
O soul, what then desirest thou?
Lord I would see thee, who thus choose thee.

What fears can yet assail thee now?
All that I fear is but lose thee.
Love's whole possession I entreat,
Lord make my soul thine own abode,
And I will build a nest so sweet
It may not be too poor for God.

A soul in God hidden from sin,
What more desires for thee remain,
Save but to love again,
And all on flame with love within,
Love on, and turn to love again.

Lowell


_____________________________________________

Audio podcast: Listen to an audio podcast of the most recent Morning Reflections from today and the past week. Click the following link: Morning Reflection Podcasts

About Morning Reflections
Morning Reflections is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.


Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117
An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at www.missionstclare.com
Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location -- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html

The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church
is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

Visit our web site at www.stpaulsfay.org

Our Rule of Life
We aspire to...
worship weekly
pray daily
learn constantly
serve joyfully
live generously.

Lowell Grisham, Rector
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, Arkansas

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home