Friday, September 04, 2009

Troubles

Friday, September 4, 2009 -- Week of Proper 17, Year One
Paul Jones, Bishop and Peace Advocate, 1941

Today's Readings for the Daily Office (Book of Common Prayer, p. 982)
Psalms 31 (morning) 35 (evening)
1 Kings 11:26-43
James 4:13 - 5:6
Mark 15:22-32

"Have mercy on me, O God, for I am in trouble; my eye is consumed with sorrow, and also my throat and my belly." (Psalm 31:9)

All of today's readings are full of conflict, division and death.

For the past two weeks, until yesterday, we have been reading of the wonders of Solomon -- how David chose him to be his successor, how wise and wealthy and powerful Solomon was, how he built the Temple and was blessed by God in his prayer of its dedication, and God's renewed promise of an eternal dynasty if only Solomon and his descendants will continue to walk in God's ways.

But yesterday the tone changed. The writer of 1 & 2nd Kings divides his account of Solomon's reign into two parts. The division is a theological one. Chapters 1-10 tell of Solomon's successes. Beginning in chapter 11 the author speaks of Solomon's failures. We learn of his hundreds of foreign wives and concubines, we learn of his building places of worship for the gods of his many wives and allies, we learn of adversaries who sought to oppose Solomon politically, we hear more about his policies which enslaved both foreigners and Jews into enforced labor, and today we hear of the prophet Ahijah act to empower Jeroboam's rebellion. "Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, 'See, I am about to tear the kingdom from the hand of Solomon, and will give you ten tribes.'"

The impression we are left with is that Solomon reigned as a typical Oriental despot. He was extravagant, abusive, and wed to power. Beneath his strong hand was great resentment and misery. The land was ripe for rebellion. The golden age of Israel was not so golden for many.

In James' epistle we have a polemic against the rich. "Weep and wail for the miseries that are coming to you. Your riches have rotted, and your clothes are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver have rusted, and their rust will be evidence against you, and it will eat your flesh like fire." It is an uncompromising diatribe against the wealthy. The strongest accusation: "The wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, cry out, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts." We hear in James the voice that cries in every age for justice on behalf of the common worker -- fair wages, basic benefits, safe conditions, reasonable hours, the right to organize. We hear in James the voice that cries in every age for fundamental economic justice -- honest practice, protective regulation against abuse, transparency, the sharing of wealth and power. James is part of a long Biblical tradition that declares God's preferential regard for the poor.

All of this conflict, division and death is brought to focus on the cross. We arrive at Golgotha today. At nine o'clock in the morning, they crucify Jesus. We crucify Jesus. He hangs there with the bandits. The commoners and passersby mock him and his powerlessness. The religious authorities challenge him. Even "those who were crucified with him also taunted him." It is ugly and hateful, abusive and killing. That's where we leave things today. Here ends the reading.

Lowell

_____________________
Audio podcast: Listen to an audio podcast of the most recent Morning Reflections from today and the past week. Click the following link: Morning Reflection Podcasts

About Morning Reflections
Morning Reflections is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.


Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117

An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at www.missionstclare.com
Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location -- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html


The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church
is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

Visit our web site at www.stpaulsfay.org

Our Rule of Life
We aspire to...
worship weekly
pray daily
learn constantly
serve joyfully
live generously.

Lowell Grisham, Rector
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, Arkansas

2 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Jack Douglas said...

"At three o'clock Jesus cried out with a loud voice, 'Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?" which means, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" -Mark 15.34 NRSV

Father Lowell, I know that the above passage is for tomorrow's reading, but since it is a continuation of the gospel story for today, has a lot to do with today's reading and there is not a reflection tomorrow (being Saturday); I've decided to use this verse for my comment. In part, it is actually a continuation of what was said yesterday (I read your reply).

Jesus, at the moment ending his earthly life, felt abandoned by his father. I can relate to this, because when I began my life, I WAS abandoned by my father. Honestly, I have resented him for most of my life. However, I can say that I have forgiven him a long time ago and presently willing to have that father/son relationship that he was trying to have with me when I was a confused 16 year old boy. Still, though I hold nothing against him, I am "cautious" so to speak.

I look back in the past... I understand that when I was born, he was 17, confused and afraid. His family background was somewhat like the one I grew up in, where feelings of abandonment and denial were the daily norms that kept the family together, oddly enough! So now, I don't see him at 17 as much different than I was when I was 16. But, some of the things that I did might have discouraged him from ever accepting me as his son. Could it be that he is cautious around me? It seems likely.

One of the things that I do is to live for the moment and not try to rehash things that are in the past. Sometimes, visiting the past gives me an understanding that allows me to forgive and hopefully forget. I could just let it all go and forsake what is done. I have done so in the past, or at least I thought I had. I tried doing this with my father, but for me the consequences were drastic. I realize now that this is a coping mechanism (just me, I can't speak for anyone else) that I use to *numb out* the pain, but the pain doesn't go away. Instead it stays under my radar and profoundly changes the way I see the world.

Fact is, I have a problem sometimes of confusing God for my father. What do I mean by this? At the slightest, insignificant thing that may happen... I will wonder if God is really around. I have seen God the Father as an abandoning one. It's very easy for me. That is why I can really relate to what Jesus said in the above passage. I do like what you said though. I must always be mindful that God is present no matter what, even when it hurts. Reflecting back, I can see the times that I have strength unknown to me before were in the moments of great pain. God was there, for he was the source of my strength and hope.

The peace of the Lord be with you, father
Jack Douglas

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Lowell said...

One of the gifts that Jesus gives us is that in his life we can see his embrace of virtually every experience of brokenness and evil that human beings suffered. On the cross, he even felt himself abandoned by God.

So, in Jesus, we have a friend who knows what we suffer, who knows what it feels like to go through what we experience. He takes it all, and offers it to God.

Underneath the story of Jesus' suffering, we know that God is present -- God is in Jesus, experiencing even what it feels like to be abandoned.

What God does with all of that is resurrection -- new life.

You've experienced both that suffering and new life, Jack. You know what it is to feel abandoned like Jesus, and you know what if feels like to be raised to new life as God's own son.

Lowell

 

Post a Comment

<< Home