Friday, August 21, 2009

The Poor Widow

Friday, August 21, 2009 -- Week of Proper 15, Year One

Today's Readings for the Daily Office (Book of Common Prayer, p. 980)
Psalms 140, 142 (morning) 141, 143:1-11(12) (evening)
2 Samuel 19:24-43
Acts 24:24 - 25:12
Mark 12:35-44

Whenever I read the passage about the poor widow who puts two copper coins into the Temple treasury, so many faces come to my mind. I know so many people who live modestly and yet generously. I know many who do not have enough for their own needs, and yet they give generously to others whom they recognize are in worse shape than they are. I know some who give to God through the church even when they must trust God to provide for them because their own means are inadequate.

I tend to be practical. I've told people who are on the edge of economic survival not to feel obligated to give to the church until their own situation is secure. I've told them that we've got many people with more money than they need who will give generously to provide for the church's needs. Then I've heard this response from people who I think do not have enough for their own livelihood, "But I need to give. I want to give back to God. I love God and God takes care of me. It is important for me to give something back."

I think of a widow I know whose husband's hourly job earned only enough for their basic necessities. When he died he had no pension; no savings. In her 80's, she lived on a fixed income, her only revenue being from social security. It's not enough, I thought. Yet she tithed on that modest amount, and she declared that was so glad to do so.

I think of a couple, one with a chronic illness, the other with occasional hourly labor. They regularly sponsor charity events to raise money for animal shelters.

I think of so many people who are homeless. Over and over I've been amazed and humbled by the kind acts of generosity that occur among those who are the most vulnerable of our neighbors. I've seen people who have nearly nothing virtually empty their pockets to help people who have nothing. A cyclicly homeless friend of mine would consistently give his last dollar if he saw a homeless family with children. "They need it more than me," he would tell me. He knew he could always beg and get enough for his own needs.

Jesus raises up with praise the poor widow, whose two copper coins, worth a penny, are "more than all those who are contributing to the treasury." There is a difference between contributing out of our abundance -- the kind of giving that I do -- and contributing "out of her poverty" as the poor widow in the Temple gives. Jesus recognizes that she "has put in everything she had, all she had to live on." I've seen that. I've seen people do that. I don't understand it, but I am in awe. It is a mystery of profound trust and love. I don't think I have that measure of trust and love. But I respect those people, poor people, who are so much greater than I. They inspire me to greater generosity.

Lowell
_____________________________________________

Audio podcast: Listen to an audio podcast of the most recent Morning Reflections from today and the past week. Click the following link: Morning Reflection Podcasts

About Morning Reflections
Morning Reflections is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.


Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117

An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at www.missionstclare.com
Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location -- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html


The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church
is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

Visit our web site at www.stpaulsfay.org

Our Rule of Life
We aspire to...
worship weekly
pray daily
learn constantly
serve joyfully
live generously.

Lowell Grisham, Rector
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, Arkansas

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home