Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Sadness of the Hopeless

Thursday, April 13, 2006 -- Maundy Thursday

"Morning Reflections" is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.

Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117

An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at www.missionstclare.com
Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this link -- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html


Today's Readings for the Daily Office
(p. 957)
Psalms 102 (morning) // 142, 143 (afternoon)
Lamentations 2:10-18
1 Corinthians 10:14-17; 11:27-32
Mark 14:12-25

Sometimes the sadness of hopelessness seems overwhelming. Psalm 102 is heart-rending. Something about my reading of it today was simply unnerving. My mind went back to a summer 28 years ago. I remember reading the psalms to a woman in a New York hospital. She was dying of cancer. She was emaciated and could barely speak. But she seemed to love the psalms. I can't remember when I learned that she had been a national officer in the headquarters of the United Methodist Church. She had been the New York State chair of Church Women United. She was an important woman. A servant of the Lord and a person of God. I was visiting her as a seminarian-chaplain in the hospital. I only knew her when she was dying.

To this day, nearly three decades later, I remember these words from Psalm 102 because they spoke of her condition. I read them to her, out loud, rather stupidly. I had learned that she liked for me to read the psalms to her. She communicated that to me, though it wasn't exactly through speech, which was too strained for her. So day after day as I visited, I read psalms to her. But on the day that comes back to me, I hadn't read ahead in the psalter. I had started with those beautiful and triumphant psalms in the 90's, and the joyful Jubilate Deo Psalm 100 that I had known from my childhood when we did Morning Prayer on Sundays.

Then I got to Psalm 102. I was already reading it out loud before I knew what it was saying. I was committed before I realized what was coming. "Because of the voice of my groaning I am but skin and bones." (She was.) "I have become like a vulture in the wilderness, like an owl among the ruins. I lie awake and groan; I am like a sparrow, lonely on a house-top." (Her speech was only groans. She was ruins. What do these words mean?) "For I have eaten ashes for bread and mingled my drink with weeping... My days pass away like a shadow, and I wither like the grass." (I watched her curl up before my eyes, dissolving like a shadow.)

The psalm continues as the voice of one who will not survive but who pleas for God to act decisively for the future. Even from the death bed, there is the cry of hope for those who come afterwards. I cringed as I read these words aloud to this helpless, dying woman of great faith.

In today's Daily Office, Psalm 102 sets the context of the exquisite grief of Lamentations. "My bile is poured out on the ground because of the destruction of my people, because infants and babes faint in the streets of the city... as their life is poured out on their mothers' bosom."

And for Jesus who on this night takes bread, and says. "Take; this is my body." And the cup. "This is my blood." There is no escape from the horror, and the violence, and the pain, and the certain death. All is constrained. There is no hope in this life, at least within our lifetime. Any reservoir of hope must rest beyond the horizon of this individual death. That horizon comes to us all. We will all be the lonely sparrow on a house-top. We will all meet that which is stronger than we are. We will all wither like the grass. "This is my body. This is my blood." There will be a last night, a last supper for each of us. As far as that goes, we are all hopeless.

As for the future... There is prayer.

2 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I began following the readings for morning and evening prayer a few years ago (before I was an Episcopalian) I was struck by how cycle of readings from the Psalms didn't omit the hard ones--the Psalms so full of pain or anger or self-righteousness that you just don't want to read them, certainly not out loud!

Lowell's moving personal reflection on Psalm 102 reminds me of that thought. It also brings to mind the recent evening reading of Psalm 69, which begins

"Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neck.
I sink in deep mire, where there is no foothold;
I have come into deep waters,and the flood sweeps over me."

It continues with an angry outburst against "those who would destroy me" and pleads for divine assistance and divine retribution against the oppressor.

Who can read that Psalm and not envision the terrified person trapped in the attic of a flooding house in New Orleans when the levee broke, or about to be swept away in a torrent coursing down what had been their street, or being forced to leave the bedside of an elderly parent in hospital who was almost certainly going to be euthanized?

I love Psalms like 23 and 91 because we want them to be true and trust that they are, but I also recognize truth and blunt honesty in 69 and 102.

Bob McMath

 
At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lowell,
I much enjoyed your reflection today. I have always struggled with a fear of death, ever since I was very young, and in an odd way, I am comforted by the realization that so many of us wrestle with the fear and uncertainty of the unknown. Your story was a reminder to enjoy this life, and to pray daily and hopefully gain a deeper faith of what may be on the other side of this reality.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home