Thursday, October 11, 2012

Two Thoughts

Thursday, October 11, 2012 -- Week of Proper 22, Year 2
Philip, Deacon and Evangelist

[Go to http://www.missionstclare.com/english/index.html for an online version of the Daily Office including today's scripture readings.]

Today's Readings for the Daily Office
     (Book of Common Prayer, p. 985)
Psalms 131, 132, [133] (morning)    //    134, 135 (evening)
Micah 3:1-8
Acts 24:1-23
Luke 7:36-50

I slept late today.  Very nice.

I'll write briefly about two very different things that caught my attention.

First -- Psalm 131:3 --  But I still my soul and make it quiet, like a child upon its mother's breast; my soul is quieted within me.

When I am faithful to a practice of Centering Prayer, I find it opens up space for me.  It changes my metabolism somehow, and I am for present, focused, and effective. 

But sometimes I fool myself.  I think I have too much to do or an imminent deadline.  I don't have time to be silent like a child upon its mother's breast.  And when I do that, things do not go as well.  I do not go as well. 

+++

Second -- Micah 3:5 -- Thus says the LORD concerning the prophets who lead my people astray, who cry "Peace" when they have something to eat, but declare war against those who put nothing into their mouths.  Therefore it shall be night to you, without vision, and darkness to you, without revelation.

We know about prophets for hire.  We know about scientists who somehow find "evidence" to back what is profitable for their funders.  The tobacco industry was infamous for its "scientific studies" pointing to the safety of cigarettes.  Some oil companies have thrown money at scientists who they knew would publish findings minimizing the evidence about climate change. 

Vision disappears unless we are willing to follow truth wherever it may lead, no matter how inconvenient. 

One of the roles of the prophet is to speak the inconvenient truth to us. 

+++

So -- seek to be quiet, to enter the silence that opens us to the divine mystery; and let the truth take us where it will, for it will always lead us toward God who is ultimate truth.

Lowell

________________



Audio podcast:  Listen to an audio podcast of the most recent Morning Reflections from today and the past week.  Go to: http://www.stpaulsfay.org/id244.html

About Morning Reflections
"Morning Reflections" is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.

Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117
An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at http://www.missionstclare.com/english/index.html

Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location

The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church
is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

See our Web site at www.stpaulsfay.org

Our Rule of Life: 
We aspire to...
    worship weekly
    pray daily
    learn constantly
    serve joyfully 
    live generously.

Lowell Grisham, Rector
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, Arkansas

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home