Thursday, August 02, 2012

Frustrations

Thursday, August 2, 2012 -- -- Week of Proper 12, Year Two
Samuel Ferguson, Missionary Bishop for West Africa, 1916

Today's Readings for the Daily Office (Book of Common Prayer, p. 977)
Psalms [70], 71 (morning)       74
Judges 3:12-30
Acts 1:1-14
Matthew 27:45-54

[Go to http://www.missionstclare.com/english/index.html for an online version of the Daily Office including today's scripture readings.]

As I "clicked" to print today's Morning Reflection, something caused a general protection failure, and I lost everything I had written.  It was about an hour's work.  And it was some pretty good stuff.  I had pointed out the central place of women in some of our readings today -- the women at the cross; Deborah and Jael in the reading from Judges.  I had also mentioned the good man Joseph of Arimathea, who used his wealth and position to do something right and courageous. 

But mostly I wrote about Psalm 71, a psalm about one who is in a threatening and anxious situation.  The writer faces his difficulty, but turns attention toward God in trust and remembrance.  "Let my mouth be full of your praise and your glory all the day long."  (When I am threatened, frustrated or angry, my mouth is usually full of complaint.)

I closed the reflection (about 800 words) with some resolve about trying to be more courageous and centered -- like those women and Joseph and the Psalmist -- whenever I am faced with threat or anxiety or frustration.  Then, I lost my whole article. 

So, I took my own advice.  After the initial grief and anger, I tried to turn again toward God.  I tried to fill my mouth with a bit of praise, and I wrote this lesser piece, with a bit more authenticity than the former.  (That other one had some good stuff.)

"And now that I am old and gray-headed, O God, do not forsake me, till I make known your strength to this generation and your power to all who are to come."  Psalm 71:18

Lowell
_______________

Audio podcast:  Listen to an audio podcast of the most recent Morning Reflections from today and the past week.  Go to: http://www.stpaulsfay.org/id244.html

About Morning Reflections
"Morning Reflections" is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.

Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117
An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at http://www.missionstclare.com/english/index.html

Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location
-- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html

The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church
is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

See our Web site at www.stpaulsfay.org

Our Rule of Life: 
We aspire to...
    worship weekly
    pray daily
    learn constantly
    serve joyfully 
    live generously.

Lowell Grisham, Rector
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, Arkansas
 

1 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger jcross said...

Sorry for the "loss", but even in the loss, the lessons. My sadness is the lessons for me come so late, with all those gray hairs. Thanks for the work, now and from Convention!
j

 

Post a Comment

<< Home