Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Simple, Comforting Words

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 -- Week of Easter 2

Readings for the Daily Office (Book of Common Prayer, p. 959)
Psalms  5, 6 (morning)        //        10, 11 (evening)
Exodus 15:1-21
1 Peter 1:13-25
John 14:18-31  

[Go to http://www.missionstclare.com/english/index.html for an online version of the Daily Office including today's scripture readings.]

Today's discourse from John's gospel offers comforting words.  John has set these words within the action of Jesus' servant-act of washing the feet of the disciples as the first of three discourses (John 13-14, 15-16:4, and 16:4-33) 

Sometimes it is renewing to listen to these words as though spoken to us.

"I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you...; because I live, you also will live.  On that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.  ...Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them...

"But the Advocate (Helper), the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you.  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid..."

Sometimes it seems that the message is so simple.  "I love you and I am with you.  Do not be afraid.  Live in peace, and act in love."

Lowell
_______

Audio podcast:  Listen to an audio podcast of the most recent Morning Reflections from today and the past week.  Go to: http://www.stpaulsfay.org/id244.html

About Morning Reflections

"Morning Reflections" is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.

Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117
An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at http://www.missionstclare.com/english/index.html

Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location
-- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html

The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church

is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

See our Web site at www.stpaulsfay.org

Our Rule of Life: 
We aspire to...
    worship weekly
    pray daily
    learn constantly
    serve joyfully 
    live generously.

Lowell Grisham, Rector
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, Arkansas

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home