Thursday, May 12, 2011

Gluttony

Thursday, May 12, 2011 -- Week of 3 Easter

To read about our daily commemorations, go to our Holy Women, Holy Men blog:
http://liturgical.wordiness.com/category/holy-women-holy-men/

Today's Readings for the Daily Office
(Book of Common Prayer, p. 960)
Psalms 37:1-18 (morning)       37:19-42 (evening)
Daniel 5:13-30
1 John 5:13-20(21)
Luke 5:1-11

The Enneagram is a typology of human personality.  As I was taught it, the Enneagram has roots in the ancient wisdom of the desert fathers and mothers who built on earlier understandings of human virtues and vices, spirituality and psychology.  The nine categories of the Enneagram correspond to some ancient formularies and lists of things like the deadly sins and the great virtues.

The characteristic failing for my Enneagram type is "gluttony."  We pack too much into our day.  We like everything, so we try to do everything.  We can feel anxious because we've over-committed and failed to take account of the limits of our energy and our time.  Sometimes we can be scattered and unfocused, inefficient because of moving to quickly and trying to do too much.

Today's story of Jesus' encounter with the fishermen Peter, James and John rings true for someone of my personality.  They've been laboring all night, with little to show for it.  They are tired and discouraged.  Jesus approaches and tells them to "Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch."  Peter resists at first.  They've been going hard on their own all night.  They are tired.  Probably discouraged.  But then he relents.  "Yet if you say so, I will let down the nets."  They catch a boatload.

When I am feeling tired and discouraged, laboring so long and so hard, yet little to show for it -- the "to do list" looks longer than before -- I'm tempted to take a short cut.  To skip the deep water. 

But when I listen to Jesus' call, and I let myself enter the depths through prayer and trust, it seems things tend to go well and almost solve themselves without so much of my own effort. 

When I've become more grounded in divine presence, I'm less scattered by the current circumstances.  When I am soundly centered in Christ, I can be more present and accepting, and it seems things come to me as they need to come, and I do what I most need to do, with less anxiety.

I think that's enough to say this morning.  Anything else would be gluttony of words.

Lowell

__________________

Audio podcast:  Listen to an audio podcast of the most recent Morning Reflections from today and the past week.  Click the following link:
--
Morning Reflection Podcasts

About Morning Reflections
"Morning Reflections" is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.

Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117
An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at missionstclare.com -- Click for online Daily Office
Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location -- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html --  Click for Divine Hours

Discussion Blog:  To comment on today's reflection or readings, go to http://lowellsblog.blogspot.com, or click here for Lowell's blog find today's reading, click "comment" at the bottom of the reading, and post your thoughts.

The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church
is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

See our Web site at www.stpaulsfay.org

Our Rule of Life: 
We aspire to...
    worship weekly
    pray daily
    learn constantly
    serve joyfully 
    live generously.

Lowell Grisham, Rector
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, Arkansas

2 Comments:

At 8:16 AM, Anonymous janet said...

Thanks Lowell. Good stuff here.

Peace,
Janet

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Aubrey said...

So true. The part with which I can most relate is where you state "When I've become more grounded in divine presence, I'm less scattered by the current circumstances. When I am soundly centered in Christ, I can be more present and accepting, and it seems things come to me as they need to come, and I do what I most need to do, with less anxiety."

I needed to hear that this morning as I struggle for the 6th day of Jonah being sick and I feel I have so much I need to do. Prayer is probably what I'm needing to do most and I'm neglecting that and worrying about other things.

Thanks for the encouragement!
-Aubrey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home