Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Worrying

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 -- Week of 8 Epiphany, Year One
Chad, Bishop of Lichfield, 672
To read about our daily commemorations, go to our Holy Women, Holy Men blog:
http://liturgyandmusic.wordpress.com/category/holy-women-holy-men/

Today's Readings for the Daily Office
(Book of Common Prayer, p. 950)
Psalms 119:1-24  (morning)       12, 13, 14 (evening)
Deuteronomy 4:25-31
2 Corinthians 11:21b-33
Matthew 6:24-34

"And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life?" 

No.  But you sure can lose a few hours of sleep.  My mind got going in the middle of the night, and I couldn't sleep.  Just worrying about stuff.  It happens.  I don't know if everybody does this.  I imagine there are some who sleep peacefully every night, but I'll bet a majority of us have some nights where worries and concerns fire enough neurons that we escape from sleep's orbit.

So I took a book and went into another room to read and get my mind away from what had filled it.  And eventually, weariness does its blessed job.

This morning, nothing has changed of course.  The time of worrying solved nothing.  It only leaves us a bit weary.  If I wanted to I might worry -- am I too tired to do my work today? 

So I open the gospel and almost chuckle out loud when I begin to read, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life...  Can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life?  ...Therefore do not worry, ...but strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness..." 

I know these things.  I believe these things.  Sometimes I forget.  Sometimes I worry.  Even though it doesn't do a bit of good. 

So, I'm going to release what was bothering me to God.  (I'll try not to pick it back up again.) 

Oh, the last line of today's reading -- "So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.  Today's trouble is enough for today."  Seems like I wrote a sermon about all of this last week.  

Lowell

__________________

Audio podcast:  Listen to an audio podcast of the most recent Morning Reflections from today and the past week.  Click the following link:
--
Morning Reflection Podcasts

About Morning Reflections
"Morning Reflections" is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.

Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117
An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at missionstclare.com -- Click for online Daily Office
Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location -- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html --  Click for Divine Hours

Discussion Blog:  To comment on today's reflection or readings, go to http://lowellsblog.blogspot.com, or click here for Lowell's blog find today's reading, click "comment" at the bottom of the reading, and post your thoughts.

The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church
is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

See our Web site at www.stpaulsfay.org

Our Rule of Life: 
We aspire to...
    worship weekly
    pray daily
    learn constantly
    serve joyfully 
    live generously.

Lowell Grisham, Rector
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, Arkansas

3 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Blogger L.C.Jones said...

I like this reading a lot - and I have to share with you an old snoopy wall hanging I have that says: "I've got to start acting more sensibly tomorrow!" Snoopy is, of course, doing his dance, ears fully engaged in the air, not worrying... It of course symbolizes not worrying about life but rather enjoying and embracing life. We of course know that for Snoopy, tomorrow never comes! He just keeps dancing and dancing. However, the occasional Red Baron gets the best of him and that is when his worries seem to kick in. But, it's not a constant worry; it's living life to its fullest and addressing worries and concerns only when they are present, when the RB is shooting at him on his dog house, but not in anticipation of the future or not a constant dwelling, otherwise......

Am I making a lick of sense? You just seemed to spark that poster to life in my mind on your last line: "So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today's trouble is enough for today."

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Lowell said...

Thanks Linda,

Snoopy often seems like a Christ-symbol. He's Charlie Brown's one source of unconditional love -- "Happiness is a warm puppy." He's often a source of innocent wisdom too.

Lowell

 
At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Nancy H said...

I smiled with remembrance at my own moments when God directly spoke through scripture to my situation. Sometimes it's a gentle nudge and you almost feel him smiling with you. Sometimes it's a bit louder, or more urgent. Then I weep. [Echoing the kissing of the Gospel book during a liturgy, sometimes it's the only thing I can do to say "thank you".]
When people doubt the person of God, I tell them my stories. Coincidence just doesn't account for everything.
Hope your 'worries' are working themselves out.
God bless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home