Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Scriptures for the Week

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 -- Week of 4 Epiphany, Year One
Brigid (Bride), 523
To read about our daily commemorations, go to our Holy Women, Holy Men blog:
http://liturgyandmusic.wordpress.com/category/holy-women-holy-men/

Today's Readings for the Daily Office (Book of Common Prayer, p. 946)
Psalms 61, 62 (morning)       68:1-20(21-23)24-26 (evening)
Isaiah 51:1-12
Galatians 4:12-20
Mark 8:1-10

I am away at a meeting this week.  Won't be writing. Here are the readings.
___________

Wednesday, February 2, 2011
The Presentation of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Temple
EITHER the readings for Wednesday of 4 Epiphany (p. 946)
Psalms 72 (morning)       119:73-96 (evening)
Isaiah 54:1-10(11-17)
Galatians 4:21-31
Mark 8:11-26

OR the readings for The Presentation
Morning:  Psalms 42, 43; 1 Samuel 2:1-10;  John 8:31-36
Evening:  Psalms 48, 87;  Haggai 2:1-9;  1 John 3:1-8
______

 Thursday, February 3, 2011
 Anskar, Archbishop of Hamburg, Missionary to Denmark and Sweden, 865
Psalms [70], 71 (morning)       74 (evening)

Isaiah 55:1-13
Galatians 5:1-15
Mark 8:27 - 9:1
______
Friday, February 4, 2011
Cornelius the Centurion
Psalms 69:1-23(24-30)31-38 (morning)       73 (evening)
Isaiah 56:1-8
Galatians 5:16-24
Mark 9:2-13
 

3 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Anonymous janet l graige said...

Prayer for Egypt
From Pax Christi:
By Dom Helder Camara

I will not believe in the law of the strongest,

In the language of guns,

In the power of the powerful.

I want to believe in the right of all,

In the open hand,

In the strength of the non-violent.

I will not believe in race or riches.

In privileges,

In the established order.

I want to believe that all human beings

Are human beings

And that the order of force and of injustice

Is a disorder.

I will not believe that I don’t have to concern myself

With what happens far from here.

I want to believe that the whole world

Is my home, the field that I sow,

And that all reap what all have sown.

I will not believe that I can combat oppression out there

If I tolerate injustice here.

I want to believe that what is right

Is the same here and there

And that I will not be free

While even one human being is excluded.

I will not believe that war and hunger are inevitable

And that peace is inaccessible.

I want to believe in the love of bare hands,

In peace on earth.

I will not believe that any effort is in vain.

I will not believe that the dream of human beings

Continues being only a dream

And that death is the end.


A very timely poem from the EPF National website. Peace, Janet

(I hear Florida is nice this time of year..)

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Lowell said...

Janet,

What a fine prayer from EPF. Thanks.

And yes, Florida was incredibly nice last week. How hard this cold, and especially the wet, is for our homeless neighbors and for those who may have homes but are vulnerable.

Lowell

 
At 9:07 PM, Anonymous janet said...

I often think of those without shelter, without a place, too. I used to have a big house that I'd have people stay in when the opportunity arose. I have some ideas on those issues.. maybe someday I can share that vision with you. It has to do with adoption, learned from St. Paul. Peace, Janet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home