Monday, November 29, 2010

Not Answering

Monday, November 29, 2010 -- Week of 1 Advent, Year One

To read about our daily commemorations, go to our Holy Women, Holy Men blog:
http://liturgyandmusic.wordpress.com/category/holy-women-holy-men/

Today's Readings for the Daily Office
(Book of Common Prayer, p 936)
Psalms 1, 2, 3 (morning)       4, 7 (evening)
Isaiah 1:10-20
1 Thessalonians 1:1-10
Luke 20:1-8

NOTE:  We are now in Year One of the Daily Office Lectionary.
We are reading the lessons on the left side of the page in the Prayer Book.

Some questions aren't worth answering. 

I tend to answer questions.  I'm inclined to think that I can explain to people my thoughts and opinions, and that they will understand where I'm coming from.  I imagine that once they've heard my reasoning, they are likely to agree with me.  Those who won't agree with me, I imagine, are those who will decide that they've got too much at stake in a different way of being in the world.  It would be too costly to them -- their world view or relationships or vocation -- for them to embrace what is so obviously true.  They will have to leave saddened, a bit like the rich man whom Jesus invited to give up his wealth and follow him.  We'll agree to disagree, but not because I've failed to make a compelling argument.  Just because they've to too much invested in another idea or paradigm. 

That's a fairly ridiculous way of being.  First of all, I don't know very much.  I'm always learning and adapting.  What I may tell you I think today may be very different from what my opinion will be six months from now if I've learned something.  Secondly, it is very complicated to talk with people about important things.  We all bring to conversation our different histories and our varied emotional and intellectual chemistries. 

It is necessary to have some good will as a foundation for conversation, or otherwise the bar to communion can be too profound.

What jumps out at me as I read today's gospel is that there are some people that we can't talk with because they are not willing to be in communion, they are unwilling to offer the good will necessary for conversation.  Conversation may be either a waste or a trap or an unnecessary expansion of alienation. 

"One day, as he was teaching the people in the temple and telling the good news, the chief priests and the scribes came with the elders and said to Jesus, "Tell us, by what authority are you doing these things?  Who is it who gave you this authority?" 

If that had happened to me, I might have been excited.  Oh goody.  I've finally got the attention of the big boys.  Now I can explain to them what I find so important and why.  But it wouldn't have worked.  They've got a world view about authority, and I would not have fit into it.  Their purpose was to discredit, not to understand.  They've probably got a tight, logical way of entrapping the unwary in their system.  I would have been trapped.  Or just wasted my energy.  Or created a conflict that might have escalated to no good purpose.

Jesus refuses to answer their question.  Instead Jesus returns the favor.  He answers the trick question with another trick question.  They withdraw.

It takes some discernment to recognize when someone does not have enough good will to be in conversation.  Just because someone believes differently or has a profoundly different world view doesn't mean you cannot fruitfully discuss what is important to you.  As long as there is some humanity between you, some good will, conversation is possible.  The improbable conversation between Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well comes to mind. 

But sometimes, it's just better to hold your breath.  Or, if you are attacked, it can be nice to have a tricky way to escape.  I'm usually not clever enough to come up with an escape clause like the one Jesus used in this story, the trick question about what they thought of John the Baptist's authority.  But the powerful thing about that answer is that it went back to something fundamental about the greatness of God.  Basically, Jesus, like John, was speaking out of a personal authority given by God.  Since John was established enough that the religious authorities couldn't challenge him publicly, Jesus spoke from a place of strength that also raised his own claim of authority.

I find that if I hold to my fundamental belief in the mysterious, infinite love of God, I rarely feel tricked by religious debate.  It seems as though the one whose God loves the biggest tends to win.

Lowell

__________________

Audio podcast:  Listen to an audio podcast of the most recent Morning Reflections from today and the past week.  Click the following link:
--
Morning Reflection Podcasts

About Morning Reflections
"Morning Reflections" is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.

Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117
An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at missionstclare.com -- Click for online Daily Office
Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location -- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html --  Click for Divine Hours

Discussion Blog:  To comment on today's reflection or readings, go to http://lowellsblog.blogspot.com, or click here for Lowell's blog find today's reading, click "comment" at the bottom of the reading, and post your thoughts.

The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church
is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

See our Web site at www.stpaulsfay.org

Our Rule of Life: 
We aspire to...
    worship weekly
    pray daily
    learn constantly
    serve joyfully 
    live generously.

Lowell Grisham, Rector
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, Arkansas


5 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Anonymous janet said...

I so long for conversation about the important things, especially when my feet were first set on the spiritual path. I have found through many trials and much error that there is a resonance (energy) I can pick up on with those connected in a deeply spiritual way, across traditions, not always other Christians, amazingly enough. And usually the conversations end up including few words after all, but much connection. Big mystery, big love, an understanding of the cornerstones of compassion and peace. Sometimes I think we may only be able to truly speak in poetry, across ages - like reading Rumi or from sacred text. Janet

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Lowell said...

Thanks Janet,
Sometimes I've found I have more in common with people from non-Christian traditions than I do with active people in some Christian traditions. When I find someone oriented toward love with a taste for the mystery of the all, I find I am with someone on a familiar path. When I visit with tribal Christians who are focused on correct belief and certainty, we seem to come from different planets.

Lowell

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Undergroundpewster said...

Spectator from Planet X,

"You obviously have too much invested in your world view to listen to my obviously correct position."

Spectator from Planet Z,

"I thought I just said that."

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Lowell said...

That's exquisite, UP.

I've missed your missives. Thanks for the post. Hope life is good for you.

Lowell

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous janet said...

That is part of the frustration, we aren't from different planets, but language as connection seems to have such limits, especially when egos and spiritual truths are involved.

I had to look up tribal Christians (see how wee my brain and perspective is).

janet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home