Friday, October 22, 2010

Busy-ness

Friday, October 22, 2010 -- Week of Proper 24, Year Two

To read about our daily commemorations, go to our Holy Women, Holy Men blog:
http://liturgyandmusic.wordpress.com/category/holy-women-holy-men/

Today's Readings for the Daily Office
(Book of Common Prayer, p. 989)
Psalms 31 (morning)       35 (evening)
Ecclesiasticus* 11:2-20
Revelation 9:13-21
Luke 10:38-42
   * found in the Apocrypha; also known as the Wisdom of Jesus Son of Sirach

Ben Sira speaks to me today:  "My child, do not busy yourself with many matters; if you multiply activities, you will not be held blameless.  If you pursue, you will not overtake, and by fleeing you will not escape.  There are those who work and struggle and hurry, but are so much the more in want."

There are so many good things that I want to respond to.  So many opportunities.  Too much of a good thing. 

Sometimes I think, if I just get a hunk of time and work real hard, I'll catch up.  Sometimes I think, just quit; let it go.  "If you pursue, you will not overtake, and by fleeing you will not escape." 

At my best, I get relaxed by starting the day grounded and present.  Then I focus on the most important things and resist the distractions.  At my worst, I start the day anxious and behind.  Then I go too fast, make mistakes, and get discouraged -- easily distracted to escape to something that doesn't matter.

In Luke's gospel today, busy Martha, "distracted by her many tasks," complains to Jesus that her sister is lounging at Jesus' feet, not lifting a finger to help with the work.  Jesus speaks to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things;  there is need of only one thing.  Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her."

When I've taken the time to think about my patterns, I've recognized that I do my work best when I give myself time for prayer, especially Centering Prayer, when I exercise, and when I have some effective form of checklist so I'll do the important things first, and keep the not-so-important things in a reminder place where they don't carry emotional weight because I'm wondering if I'm forgetting something I ought to do. 

But before that, I have to accept my limits.  I'm still learning to say "no."  If it seems like a good thing, I say to myself, why shouldn't I do it?  It's a better question to ask, In a world with so many gifted people called to carry out their ministries, why should I be the one to do this next opportunity?  Is it really my calling?

I don't want to be one of those who "work and struggle and hurry, but are so much the more in want."  I want to work, and work hard, but to do so without the struggle of anxiety and the resentment that can come from being overcommited. 

There is a metaphor from the Hebrew scriptures.  It is the margins around the field.  The scriptures instruct the farmer not to harvest all the way to the border of the field.  The worker is to leave a margin near the border, where one does not harvest.  The margin does two things.  (1) It prevents the farmer from accidentally trespassing onto a neighbor's field by stepping beyond one's own land.  (2)  The margin of the field is left free and unharvested so that the poor may glean.  There must be room for the needy. 

If I think of my time as my land, I need to keep some margins.  I don't need to stray into my neighbor's business.  I also need to keep some space for the needs that arise and deserve some charitable response from me.  If I'm stretched from border to border, I don't have any margin with which to respond.

Finally, it all comes down to the "one thing," the "better part."  It's all about love -- love of God/Jesus; love of neighbor; love of self.  Part of loving God is trusting God to run the universe rather than trying to run it yourself.  Part of loving neighbor is setting boundaries and saying "no" when you don't have the resources or the calling to do more than you can do.  Loving yourself is respecting your limits and doing only what is yours to do.

Okay.  Time's up for writing.  Gotta move.  What's next?

Lowell

__________________

Audio podcast:  Listen to an audio podcast of the most recent Morning Reflections from today and the past week.  Click the following link:
--
Morning Reflection Podcasts

About Morning Reflections
"Morning Reflections" is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.

Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117
An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at missionstclare.com -- Click for online Daily Office
Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location -- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html --  Click for Divine Hours

Discussion Blog:  To comment on today's reflection or readings, go to http://lowellsblog.blogspot.com, or click here for Lowell's blog find today's reading, click "comment" at the bottom of the reading, and post your thoughts.

The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church
is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

See our Web site at www.stpaulsfay.org

Our Rule of Life: 
We aspire to...
    worship weekly
    pray daily
    learn constantly
    serve joyfully 
    live generously.

Lowell Grisham, Rector
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, Arkansas


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home