Monday, July 27, 2009

The Psalmist's Prayer

Monday, July 27, 2009 -- Week of Proper 12, Year One
William Reed Huntington, Priest, 1909

Today's Readings for the Daily Office (Book of Common Prayer, p. 976)
Psalms 56, 57, [58] (morning) 64, 65 (evening)
2 Samuel 2:1-11
Acts 15:36 - 16:5
Mark 6:14-29

"Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful,
for I have taken refuge in you; *
in the shadow of your wings will I take refuge
until this time of trouble has gone by." (Psalm 57:1)

The psalms appointed for this morning speak of a time when the psalmist is facing troubles, conflicts and challenges that are beyond immediate control. The writer must turn to God for support and deliverance. Although we do not know the particular circumstances that prompted these verses, they have been a source of comfort and hope for countless people through the centuries.

From Psalm 56:

Whenever I am afraid *
I will put my trust in you.

In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust and will not be afraid, *
for what can flesh do to me?

You have noted my lamentation;
put my tears into your bottle; *
are they not recorded in your book?

In God, whose word I praise
in God I trust and will not be afraid, *
for what can mortals do to me?

I am bound by the vow I made to you, O God; *
I will present to you thank-offerings;

For you have rescued my soul from death and my feet from stumbling, *
that I may walk before you in the light of the living.

And from Psalm 57:

I will call upon you, O Most High God, *
you who maintain my cause.

You will send from heaven and save me;
you will confound those who trample upon me; *
you will send forth your love and you faithfulness.

My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed; *
I will sing and make melody.

Wake up, my spirit;
awake, lute and harp; *
I myself will waken the dawn.

I will confess you among the peoples, O God; *
I will sing praise to you among the nations.

For your loving-kindness is greater than the heavens, *
and your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.

Exalt yourself above the heavens, O God, *
and your glory over all the earth.

Mixed in among these words of trust and praise the psalmist complains of the people and troubles that threaten. There is no mincing of words. The writer speaks of enemies and of their damaging intentions: lions who devour the people, with teeth like spears and tongues like swords, who lay nets to entrap.

Slowly the tone of the message moves its focus. There is a pattern. The psalmist begins with a cry to God for help. Then a mixture of complaint and petition. But what emerges is a closing that praises God and visions relief from God's hands.

The psalmist gives us a good pattern of prayer, especially in times of trouble. A cry for help. Complaint and petition, not mincing words about one's complaint, but setting it forth to God in passionate speech. After having shown God the problems, something seems to settle. There emerges a renewed trust in God's presence and goodness. We are able to praise God and go ahead to face today's challenges.

All over the world today, people will use these psalms or others like them, or they will take the pattern of prayer these psalms have modeled for them, and they will cry out to God. They will be heard. They will stand up and move forward in renewed courage to face what they must face, grounded in God's presence and help.

Lowell
_____________________________________________

Audio podcast: Listen to an audio podcast of the most recent Morning Reflections from today and the past week. Click the following link: Morning Reflection Podcasts

About Morning Reflections
Morning Reflections is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.


Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117

An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at www.missionstclare.com
Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location -- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html


The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church
is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

Visit our web site at www.stpaulsfay.org

Our Rule of Life
We aspire to...
worship weekly
pray daily
learn constantly
serve joyfully
live generously.

Lowell Grisham, Rector
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, Arkansas

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home