Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Health and Healing

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 -- Week of 6 Easter, Year One
Alcuin, deacon, and Abbot of Tours, 804
Rogation Day
Eve of Ascension

Today's Readings for the Daily Office (Book of Common Prayer, p. 962)

Morning Prayer:
Psalms 119:97-120 (morning)
Baruch 3:24-37
James 5:13-18
Luke 12:22-31

Evening Prayer - Eve of Ascension:
Psalms 68:1-20
2 Kings 2:1-15
Revelation 5:1-14

From time to time I experience back spasms. There is some predictability to their onset. I tend to have back spasms when I push anxiously beyond my boundaries. When I try to do too much too fast; when I worry too much and feel rushed; when I repeatedly try to get two hours of things done in one hour, I set myself up for the spasms. When I set an untenable pace and ignore my good sense telling me to slow down, my body will tell me, and painfully force me, to adjust my behavior.

As I read the two New Testament lessons today, I thought about my back spasms, because these two passages speak to the best ways I've found for relief and balance.

"Therefore, I tell you, do not worry about your life..." Luke's famous passage about trust and hope is among the healthiest scriptures we have. Underneath the formula for releasing anxiety is simple trust. Trust God; trust that God is beneath the functions of life.

Let the moment come, don't anticipate it. Each moment carries its duties, beauties and hopes. Let it be, and respond gently. We are responsible creatures. That means, as we are able, we respond. We look at the circumstances of the moment, we accept them deeply, and as we are able, we respond. The rest of the universe, we can leave to God's hands.

Every moment when I can trust God to take care of things and allow myself to take responsibility only for whatever is within my immediate circle of respose, staying simply in the present moment, I am co-creating the context for a good day. Be, and let it be. The rest is God's work.

I know these things, but I don't always do them. And if I try to do too much, worry about too much -- eventually I will get back spasms. I will cease doing too much.

When spasms happen, I've found two things that help. (And that takes us to the other reading, James 5:13f.) Both involve prayer, and both involve very deep, trusting rest.

Massage helps me. One key to massage is to do nothing. One must rest, and trust the skill of the therapist. My massage therapist works with deep, prayerful intentionality. (I think most do.) The touch of the massage invites the over-inflamed parts of me to return to more natural balance and rest. My surrender in restful participation in that process is the best thing I can do.

The other thing I've found helpful in my pain is Healing Touch. St. Paul's has a number of trained Healing Touch ministers who offer an energy modality that is grounded in prayer. We've got so many stories of healing and of various experiences of relief that Healing Touch brings. Many people among us who live with chronic illness have found Healing Touch to be especially helpful. Occasionally things happen that transcend medical expectations. I know that whenever I have accepted Healing Touch during my back spasms, each time I've experienced an exponential improvement. Even if the physical symptoms had not been so notably relieved, the spiritual comfort and deep care is profound and healing. "The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective."

It is a good thing to be reminded this morning of these deep and healing truths. I can relax into the day, trusting God, and gently being responsible for what little part of God's creation is presented to me for my offering. Moment by moment. That's enough.

Lowell
_____________________________________________

Audio podcast: Listen to an audio podcast of the most recent Morning Reflections from today and the past week. Click the following link: Morning Reflection Podcasts

About Morning Reflections
Morning Reflections is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.


Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117

An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at www.missionstclare.com
Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location -- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html


The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church
is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

Visit our web site at www.stpaulsfay.org

Our Rule of Life
We aspire to...
worship weekly
pray daily
learn constantly
serve joyfully
live generously.

Lowell Grisham, Rector
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, Arkansas

2 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger Ruby said...

Thanks Lowell, I needed that this morning! Too much multi-tasking is driving me nuts!
Liz

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Lowell said...

Thanks Liz,

Be alive; one moment at a time.

Lowell

 

Post a Comment

<< Home