Friday, December 05, 2008

Phillip

Friday, December 5, 2008 -- Week of 1 Advent; Year One
Clement of Alexandria, Priest, c. 210

Today's Readings for the Daily Office (Book of Common Prayer, p. 936)
Psalms 16, 17 (morning) 22 (evening)
Isaiah 3:8-15
1 Thessalonians 4:1-12
Luke 20:41 - 21:4

I got adopted by a chronically homeless man. Phillip and I had spoken in passing a few times but I didn't know his name. When he got arrested for public drunkenness, part of his sentence was a thirty day treatment program. As he checked in, he told them that his payee for his Social Security disability was "the Father at the Episcopal Church." Since the rehab center would be paid from Phillip's monthly disability check, they needed to get to the payee in order to be paid. When they called me, I didn't have any idea what they were talking about.

So they told me what a payee's responsibility was, and I went down to the rehab center to meet Phillip. I remembered him when I saw him, and we began to talk about the possibility of my serving as his payee. I really liked him. We made a deal. I would take care of his check and pay for all of his necessities as long as he was sober. If he went on a drinking binge, I wouldn't pay for anything; I would just let the money accumulate in his bank account until he sobered up. It was a deal.

That started a remarkable, if sometimes turbulent relationship. Phillip became one of my best friends, and I learned so much from him.

He came to mind today when I read Jesus' observation about the poor widow who put two small copper coins into the temple treasury. "Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them; for all of them have contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in all she had to live on."

I remember when Phillip gave his entire month's allowance to a family with a child. It was early in the month, too. He knew I wouldn't be happy with him. "Father, they needed it more than me. They had a little kid. I can always get by. But they need to take care of that little boy."

Phillip never worried about money, whether he would have any or enough. He didn't worry about food. He trusted that something would come up. And so he was remarkably available. He happily gave himself away. He literally would do anything for anybody. And if you paid him for helping, it was like you had given him a gift.

Phillip was absolutely generous with his money. If there was anyone who needed it more than he did, he freely gave. And from his perspective, most people needed it more than he did. "I can always get enough money to get by. I could go down the street and get $20 from people in an hour, just by asking. Maybe in twenty minutes." He had absolute confidence in his ability to get by. He didn't have to have money. So he was non-possessive. He trusted God. He also trusted his own ability to survive. He was the most generous person I've ever known. His income was $425 a month.

I'm too fearful, too calculating, too anxious and too possessive to live as freely as Phillip. But his generosity stands as a challenge to me. I'll never be as poor as Phillip. I'll never be as unattached to money as Phillip either.

Lowell
_____________________________________________

Audio podcast: Listen to an audio podcast of the most recent Morning Reflections from today and the past week. Click the following link: Morning Reflection Podcasts

About Morning Reflections
Morning Reflections is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.


Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117

An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at www.missionstclare.com
Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location -- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html


The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church
is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

Visit our web site at www.stpaulsfay.org

Our Rule of Life
We aspire to...
worship weekly
pray daily
learn constantly
serve joyfully
live generously.

Lowell Grisham, Rector
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, Arkansas

2 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of mornings I simply want to say "thank you." I do especially today as I'm basking in the opening of the new Psychiatric Research Institute at UAMS where there is a major emphasis on addiction. I'm thankful for the BIG things that happen to help persons with addictions - and for the patience and kindnesses shown by individuals toward them. Yours certainly fall into that catagory.
I'm truly grateful that you let us hear the story.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Undergroundpewster said...

Thanks for sharing this story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home