Friday, June 13, 2008

Death

Friday, June 13, 2008 -- Week of Proper 5
Basil the Great, Bishop of Caesarea, 379

Today's Reading for the Daily Office (Book of Common Prayer, p. 971)
Psalms 69:1-23 (24-30) 31-38 (morning) 73 (evening)
Ecclesiastes 11:9 - 12:14
Galatians 5:25 - 6:10
Matthew 16:21-28

We end our readings in Ecclesiastes today as the Teacher reflects upon death. Some have suggested that the poetic images he uses are best read allegorically: "in the day when the guards of the house tremble (arms), and the strong men are bent (legs), and the women who grind cease working because they are few (teeth)..." He imagines the aging process as sight and hearing diminish, and one drags oneself along on crutches like a grasshopper. With detached acceptance, the Teacher faces all of these realities, and closes the book on every human life as "the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the breath returns to God who gave it." With existential courage the Teacher closes the scroll of Ecclesiastes with his consistent refrain: "Vanity of vanities, says the Teacher; all is vanity."

He has maintained his perspective. Life is difficult. Chance is beyond our control and injustice happens. God is always present, even though mysterious and unknowable. Nevertheless, enjoy life and its pleasures as much as possible, be wise, and do what good you may, knowing death approaches all inevitably.

A later editor couldn't leave the book at such an ending, and added a more pious, traditional note (verses 9-14). It's hard to face too much reality.

Because I often get to be with people through the shadow and valley of death, I have the opportunity to think about these things. I wonder how I will approach my own death.

I used to think I'd like to go quickly and unaware like my father who died in his sleep. There is something to be said for such a peaceful passage, but he was so young, and there is less chance for preparation and closure for oneself or for family and friends.

I think now that I would like to be aware of my own death. I believe that I would like to have some sense of consciousness during life's last passage, and to be able to offer my life back to God intentionally. I'm nervous about the potential pain and discomfort. I appreciate the gifts of medication that ease our suffering. Jesus' death on the cross has made human pain very holy, and we can unite our suffering with that of Jesus, offering it to God as Jesus did for the healing of the world. Part of the message of the cross is that God uses our tragedy, evil and human pain in some mysterious way to bring healing and new life to the world. Connecting our suffering with Jesus' gives meaning to much that is so difficult.

If I live a long life, I hope I can do so with the realism and modest acceptance of the Teacher. When the guards tremble and the strong men are bent and the grinders cease, I hope I can let go of my attachments to this sweet old world, and turn gently toward the dazzling darkness with quiet hope.

In today's gospel, Jesus reminds us that our life is well seen as following his way of the cross. "For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it." In some sense, we die into life every day -- letting go of our needs to control, opening our arms and receiving whatever God gives us with gentle, accepting hope.

Lowell
_____________________________________________

Audio podcast: Listen to an audio podcast of the most recent Morning Reflections from today and the past week. Click the following link: Morning Reflection Podcasts

About Morning Reflections
Morning Reflections is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.


Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117

An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at www.missionstclare.com
Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location -- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html


The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church
is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

Visit our web site at www.stpaulsfay.org

Our Rule of Life
We aspire to...
worship weekly
pray daily
learn constantly
serve joyfully
live generously.

Lowell Grisham, Rector
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, Arkansas

8 Comments:

At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where in scripture is the "shadow" and the "valley of death"?


What are your views on Obama's failure to protect infants born alive (from botched abortions)?

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Lowell said...

I was alluding to Psalm 23.

I don't know what you are talking about re. Obama?

Lowell

 
At 12:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Isn't it the valley of the shadow of death. Not the valley of death and the shadow. I wonder why you would choose to change it?

As far as Obama, here is and interesting and appalling commentary on the other messiah.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Lowell said...

the link did not work;Obama? Other messiah. This sounds kooky.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Chuck said...

Thank you for these powerful thoughts, Lowell. The allegorical usage is sharp and accurately depicts what many face. It also reveals that the author has both witnessed and deeply pondered the realities of decline and death. Indeed, "It's hard to face too much reality."

I don't disagree with your choice of wording re. the 23rd Psalm. For the patient it is the valley of (growing) shadows (approaching death)...for the caregiver it is both a valley of shadow and it becomes a valley of death...of funeral...of grief.

Kubler-Ross would agree about the desire to experience one's own death. I think she referred to it as "the last great earthly adventure."

"Dazzling darkness"...like Ps 139:11?

"We die into life everyday"...and through this resurrection life (via the cross) "death is swallowed up in victory" (1 Cor 15).

Thanks again!

Chuck Bengtson

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try this link. http://www.citizenlink.org/content/A000007034.cfm

Chuck,
I guess to me the context is more focused on the passing through the valley. Death is only a shadow.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Lowell said...

I'm sorry my wording bothered you, anonymous. My only point is that I've been with many people as they approach death and as they die. Death has been a teacher for me.

It did go to the link. How very tragic and sad. God bless the woman who held the child who was dying. God bless the mother who found it impossible to hope enough to have courage to bring the life into being. God bless us all in the face of such mysteries and tragedies.

I have a friend who had a similar experience, trying unsuccessfully to save a desperate young woman who had no safe access to abortion when it was illegal. She had resorted to illegal back-room means, and it was another form of botched abortion. She died a slow, sad death. She was a teenager.

Outlawing abortion does not necessarily give life, and casual abortion does not adequately respect life.

Lowell

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Chuck said...

"anonymous" said: "I guess to me the context is more focused on the passing through the valley. Death is only a shadow."

Chuck responds: I would suggest that "we fear no evil" not because "death is 'only' a shadow" but because "for thou art with me." So I guess we disagree about the focus of the passage.

If you look up the other references using "shadow of death" (KJV) you will find it represents a place of darkness and even terror...a place of fear and potential evil (see BDB, p.853).

Interestingly, the preposition prefixed to the word "valley" is most commonly rendered "in" and not "through." The same Hebrew construction is found here: "in green pastures"; "in the paths of righteousness"; and "in the house of the LORD."

Being lead in the paths of righteousness does not mean we will avoid walking in the valley of the shadow of death. "He prepares a table before us in the presence of our enemies..." and "the last enemy to be destroyed is death."

Blessings and best regards,

Chuck Bengtson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home