Thursday, July 19, 2007

Wind Beneath Wings

Thursday, July 19, 2007 -- Week of Proper 10
(Macrina, Monastic and Teacher, 379)

"Morning Reflections" is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.

Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117
An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at www.missionstclare.com
Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location -- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html

Audio Podcasts of today's "Morning Reflection" and those from the past week are available from http://www.stpaulsfay.org/id244.html (go to St. Paul's Home Page stpaulsfay.org and click "Morning Reflection podcast")



Today's Readings for the Daily Office (p. 974)
Psalms 37:1-18 (morning) 37:19-42 (evening)
1 Samuel 20:24-42
Acts 13:1-12
Mark 2:23 - 3:6

Macrina is a favorite saint. Today is her feast day.

There is a ballad that Bette Midler made popular titled "Wind Beneath My Wings" that speaks of a friend's quiet strength, wisdom and support that was the foundational power behind a stronger, more public personality. Macrina was a powerful teacher, theologian and friend. Though no writings of hers exist, her famous brother St. Gregory of Nyssa pays tribute to her in his "Life of St. Macrina." He says that she is the spiritual and theological intelligence beneath the wings of her siblings who had notable careers in the Church.

Her brothers St. Gregory of Nyssa and St. Basil the Great were two of the three Cappadocian fathers who were the champions of the church's 4th century theological work that articulated the Doctrine of the Trinity that led to the final composition of the Nicene Creed. Two other brothers, St. Peter of Sebaste (bishop) and Naucratious (hermit) were strongly influenced by her. All four of her siblings, especially Basil, were taught and strongly influenced by Macrina.

Using their family estate, Macrina founded a monastery that served the poor, picking up young women who lay in the road starving. Basil and Peter wrote a Rule for community life that preserved Macrina's ideas and became a strong influence in the monastic rules, particularly in the Eastern church.

Other than the delight in having such a strong female figure to venerate among the early church fathers and mothers, I also am drawn to Macrina because one of my spiritual teachers is also named Macrina. A Benedictine sister at St. Scholastica Monastery in Fort Smith, Macrina Wiederkehr is a popular retreat leader and has published five notable spiritual books. In her first book, "A Tree Full of Angels," she write a bit about her own meditation on her name saint. Sr. Macrina was my spiritual director when I lived in Fort Smith, and she led me into the practice of Centering Prayer, which has been a source of spiritual peace and strength for me.

I'd like to share some wisdom from Sr. Macrina on St. Macrina's day. This comes from Macrina's home page.

These Things I Have Learned:
-All work (even menial tasks) can become a joy rather than a burden.
-“Practice” is one of the most important words in the spiritual life.
-It is harmful to my soul to judge others.
-All moments of waiting can become moments of keeping vigil.
-The book of the earth is as holy as the book of scripture.
-I am happiest when I am able to surrender my own will.
-If I am not happy with what I have, I probably won’t be happier with more.
-Even if I don’t agree with someone I can learn much by listening to them.

Here Is One Way Of Describing Myself:
-I am creative, restless, joyful, spiritual, forgiving, loyal.
-I love morning, good books, good coffee, the earth, movies, lectio divina
-I feel intense, hopeful, lonely, overwhelmed, open-minded
-I need words, silence, God, friends, laughter, tears, questions
-I fear prejudice, violence, quarreling about religion, gossip
-I would like to be a blessing, another Christ, a servant leader, a disciplined disciple


Lowell
______________________

To Subscribe or Unsubscribe to the "Morning Reflections" email list,
go to our Subscriptions page -- http://www.stpaulsfay.org/id137.html

The Rev. Lowell Grisham
St
.
Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, AR

The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

See our Web site at www.stpaulsfay.org

Our Rule of Life:
We aspire to...
worship weekly
pray daily
learn constantly
serve joyfully
live generously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home