Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Worrying

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 --Week of 6 Easter
Eve of Ascension

"Morning Reflections" is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.

Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117
An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at www.missionstclare.com
Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location -- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html


Today's Readings for the Daily Office (p. 962)
Psalms 119:97-120 (morning) ------- (evening)
Baruch 3:24-37 found in the Apocrypha
James 5:13-18
Luke 12:22-31

Eve of Ascension (for Evening Prayer)
Psalms ------- (evening) 68:1-20
2 Kings 2:1-15
Revelation 5:1-14

I wish I could live without worry. I wish I weren't anxious about so many things. It is not unusual for my sleep to be bothered. (I wasn't this way years ago.) In the middle of the night I think about problems that are unresolved. Things I need to do. After a while, I go to another room and read long enough to let my mind settle so I can return to sleep.

I know that when I grit my teeth and try to work harder and faster to solve everything that is troubling me, I seem to fall further behind. I know that when I relax and trust, things seem to fall into place. And yet, I keep worrying, and translating that into more frantic activity.

Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life... Consider the ravens: they neither store nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more vow you are you than the birds! And can any of you by worrying and a single hour to your span of life? ...Instead, strive for his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well."

Lowell
______________________

To Subscribe or Unsubscribe to the "Morning Reflections" email list,
go to our Subscriptions page -- http://www.stpaulsfay.org/id137.html

The Rev. Lowell Grisham
St
.
Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, AR

The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

See our Web site at www.stpaulsfay.org

Our Rule of Life:
We aspire to...
worship weekly
pray daily
learn constantly
serve joyfully
live generously.

1 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a priceless reminder. all though i know worry wont help, don't we all do it any way... a little reminder to give it to God and do the best we can in the here and now is always good.
ty, love blessings and joys, Jen C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home