Monday, April 02, 2007

The Temperature is Rising

Monday, April 2, 2007 -- Holy Week

"Morning Reflections" is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.

Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117
An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at www.missionstclare.com
Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location -- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html


Today's Readings for the Daily Office (p. 956)
Psalms 51:1-18 (19-20) (morning) 69:1-23 (evening)
Jeremiah 12:1-16
Philippians 3:1-14
John 12:9-19

We begin Holy Week.

Today for our reading in John's Gospel we hear again of the triumphal entry Jesus into Jerusalem. His choice of entering the holy city riding on a donkey was a prophetic act. In antiquity gods and kings traditionally would travel writing on a donkey. The prophet Zechariah wrote centuries earlier of the coming of a king who would revive the dynasty of David: "Rejoice greatly, O daughter Zion! Shout aloud, O daughter Jerusalem! Lo, your king comes to you; triumphant and victorious is he, humble and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey." The crowd recognizes Jesus' meaning. They shout "Hosanna!", meaning "Save us!" They throw palm branches, a symbol of national triumph and victory.

This demonstration would have been recognized as a political demonstration with messianic overtones announcing the entry of a new king of Israel. It is guaranteed to stir up Zionist passions for a military rebellion and anxiety from the collaborating Jewish authorities who wish not to provoke the Romans. The temperature is increasing.

It is pretty hot in the 12th chapter of Jeremiah as well. He begins with a complaint to God. He starts acknowledging a word of futility: "You will be in the right, O Lord, when I lay charges against you; but let me put my case to you." His complaint? "Why does the way of the guilty prosper? Why do all who are treacherous drive?" The prophet accuses God of planting them like healthy crops. God answers Jeremiah saying it will only get worse. Even his family will betray him. God has "forsaken my house, I have abandoned my heritage; I have given the beloved of my heart into the hands of her enemies."

And we find Paul in the middle of a conflict with "dogs, ...evil workers, ...those who mutilate the flesh!" But he moves from his accusations into a word of incurring change self-definition. "I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the sharing of his sufferings by becoming like him in his death, if somehow I may attain the resurrection from the dead."

His word is a good spirit for us as we enter into Holy Week. We feel the building anxiety of danger and conflict as Jesus has entered into Jerusalem. We enter with him. We want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection. We also recognize that resurrection comes out of suffering and death. This week we will share in the way of the cross, walking with Jesus into suffering and death. It is important practice. This is how we will know what to do when we face our own suffering and death. This is how we will remember that Christ is with us when things get hot. This is how we will have courage and trust in resurrection.

Lowell
______________________

To Subscribe or Unsubscribe to the "Morning Reflections" email list,
go to our Subscriptions page -- http://www.stpaulsfay.org/id137.html

The Rev. Lowell Grisham
St
.
Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, AR

The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

See our Web site at www.stpaulsfay.org

Our Rule of Life:
We aspire to...
worship weekly
pray daily
learn constantly
serve joyfully
live generously.

2 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger Patrick said...

A Donkey For Christ

The Triumphal Entry
Luke 19:28-44
[28] After Jesus had said this, he went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem. [29] As he approached Bethphage and Bethany at the hill called the Mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples, saying to them, [30] "Go to the village ahead of you, and as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there, which no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here. [31] If anyone asks you, 'Why are you untying it?' tell him, 'The Lord needs it.' "
[32] Those who were sent ahead went and found it just as he had told them. [33] As they were untying the colt, its owners asked them, "Why are you untying the colt?"
[34] They replied, "The Lord needs it."
[35] They brought it to Jesus, threw their cloaks on the colt and put Jesus on it. [36] As he went along, people spread their cloaks on the road.
[37] When he came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen:
[38] "Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!"
"Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!"
[39] Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, "Teacher, rebuke your disciples!"
[40] "I tell you," he replied, "if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out."

About 3 years ago I dropped into a black hole – four months of absolute terror. I wanted to end my life, but somehow [Holy Spirit], I reached out to a friend who took me to hospital. I had three visits [hospital] in four months – I actually thought I was in hell. I imagine I was going through some sort of metamorphosis [mental, physical & spiritual]. I had been seeing a therapist [1994] on a regular basis, up until this point in time. I actually thought I would be locked away – but the hospital staff was very supportive [I had no control over my process]. I was released from hospital 16th September 1994, but my fear, pain & shame had only subsided a little. I remember this particular morning waking up [home] & my process would start up again [fear, pain, & shame]. No one could help me, not even my therapist [I was terrified]. I asked Jesus Christ to have mercy on me & forgive me my sins. Slowly, all my fear has dissipated & I believe Jesus delivered me from my “psychological prison.” I am a practicing Catholic & the Holy Spirit is my friend & strength; every day since then has been a joy & blessing. I deserve to go to hell for the life I have led, but Jesus through His sacrifice on the cross, delivered me from my inequities. John 3: 8, John 15: 26, are verses I can relate to, organically. He’s a real person who is with me all the time. I have so much joy & peace in my life, today, after a childhood spent in orphanages [England & Australia]. Fear, pain, & shame, are no longer my constant companions. I just wanted to share my experience with you [Luke 8: 16 – 17].

Peace Be With You
Patrick

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Lowell said...

Patrick,

Thank you for your comments, and may God continue to be present to you that you may grow ever more fully into Christ's fulness.

Your story makes some connections with my sermon from Sunday. If you would like to read it, here is the address on our web page: http://www.stpaulsfay.org/id221.html

Lowell

 

Post a Comment

<< Home