Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Tough Readings

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 -- Week of Proper 27 (Consecration of Samuel Seabury)

"Morning Reflections" is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.

Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117
An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at www.missionstclare.com
Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this location -- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html


Today's Readings for the Daily Office
(p. 993)
Psalm 78:1-39 (morning) // 78:40-72 (evening)
Joel 1:15 - 2:2(3-11)
Revelation 19:1-10
Luke 14:25-35

This is one of those days when it is hard to read the Bible.

Joel describes the deadly devastation of the locust plague. All vegetation and stored grain is destroyed. There is nothing for human or animal to eat. The pangs of starvation begin. The situation is bleak, maybe hopeless. Joel says that this is God's judgment. It was God at the head of the army of locusts. This is the meaning of "the Day of the Lord," Joel proclaims.

Our reading in Revelation is a passage of rejoicing. Heaven joins earth in praise. The reason for their joy is the overthrow of Babylon (Rome), "the great whore who corrupted the earth with her fornication. ...The smoke goes up from her forever and ever." The marriage of the Lamb and the marriage supper is being readied. Sounds wonderful, doesn't it. Until you look at the abominations of Rome. They are the characteristics of Empire -- great wealth, great power, greed and economic exploitation, military adventurism, injustice toward the poor and weak, sexual immorality, obscenities, unfaithfulness, the worship of human power rather than God. More than one person has said that contemporary America shares much with first century Rome.

And Jesus tells his followers to count the cost. "None of you can become my disciple if you do not give up all your possessions." "Whoever comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not carry the cross and follow me cannot be my disciple."

I leave these readings shaken and humbled. I have no way to soften or rationalized. I know my own faith is thin and superficial. I want my nice life and my comforts. "Practice detachment" is more theory than real for me. I wonder. Do I belong more to the Empire than to the Kingdom?

Lowell
______________________

To Subscribe or Unsubscribe to the "Morning Reflections" email list,
go to our Subscriptions page -- http://www.stpaulsfay.org/id137.html

The Rev. Lowell Grisham
St
.
Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, AR

3 Comments:

At 8:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

More to the empire to the kingdom? hum i know we all get caught up in daily grinds, i need this want that.. I supose maybe it is more where your heart lies that is important, where we give and do what we can. Love is very important, I love my family, God our "Father" i am sure wouldn't want it any other way... but this is hard reading, it dose make one go , do i have to much? do i do to little?
very thought prevoliking

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

oops i meant in that first blog,
"more to the empire then to the kingdom?"

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great thought piece today, Lowell, down to the first sentence which echoed my sentiments entirely. Somedays scripture just makes me feel like helplessly throwing up my hands.

Only the Psalm made some measure of sense... actually a nice thematic summary of the experience of the Hebrews through the Exodus and beyond, and although the God depicted in the Psalm wasn't always what we see as kind, I suppose, he was forgiving and steadfast.

Thanks for your thoughts on the other scriptures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home