Friday, May 26, 2006

Congruence Between Word and Act

Friday, May 26, 2006 -- Week of 6 Easter -- Augustine of Canterbury
"Morning Reflections" is a brief thought about the scripture readings from the Daily Office of Morning and Evening Prayer according to the practice found in the Book of Common Prayer of the Episcopal Church.

Morning Prayer begins on p. 80 of the Book of Common Prayer.
Evening Prayer begins on p. 117

An online resource for praying the Daily Office is found at www.missionstclare.com
Another form of the office from Phyllis Tickle's "Divine Hours" is available on our partner web site www.ExploreFaith.org at this link -- http://explorefaith.org/prayer/fixed/index.html

Today's Readings for the Daily Office (p. 963)
Psalms 85, 86 (morning) // 91, 92 (afternoon)
1 Samuel 2:1-10
Ephesians 2:1-10
Matthew 7:22-27

Today we read the conclusion of Matthew's collection of Jesus' sayings which we traditionally call the Sermon on the Mount. It closes with an admonition to live consistently within the spirit of these words and thus build a strong foundation. Hear and act.

The whole collection invites us to live gracious lives: to be responsible in relationships, generous and humble, faithful to the way of Christ. Much of the sermon on the mount feels very similar to the Jewish Wisdom literature traditions. The final warnings against hypocrisy emphasize the repeated theme that our appearance, motivation and acts should be consistent.

Reading this closing and remembering the scope of this section of Matthew's gospel reminds me of those repeated resolutions to live in a way that is more congruent with what I say I believe. That takes some grit and discipline as well as some trust and humility. It brings to mind the motto of the Daughters of the King: For His Sake . . . I am but one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. What I can do, I ought to do. What I ought to do, by the grace of God I will do. Lord, what will you have me do?

Lowell
_________________________


Anyone may subscribe to receive "Morning Reflections" by email
Send a regular email to the following address: lowell-request@arkansasusa.com
Then, type the following command in the main body of the email:
JOIN lowell your-email-address (example: JOIN lowell JaneDoe@aol.com)


The Rev. Lowell Grisham
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, Arkansas

3 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lowell, have you run across Tony Hendra's THE MESSIAH OF MORRIS AVENUE yet? If not, I can't urge you strongly enough to put it on the top of your reading list.

I don't normally recommend books this way -- especially without giving more information -- but I don't want to spoil it for you or anyone else. But I think you will really love it.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Lowell said...

I haven't heard of the book, but another book he wrote, Father Joe, is on my "to be read" list. David Clay and someone else said it was good. I'll give him a read.

 
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home